Saturday, August 31, 2019

Making a Transition


I haven't written in this blog for about a year and who knows if anyone is even paying attention, but I'll keep updating with information I think might be useful to some artists.

I've spent the last five years or so going back to traditional and classical painting techniques in representational painting.  This was primarily to relearn techniques I'd strayed too far from, learn new ones, and get a better grasp of the concepts of composition, color mixing, values and light control.  This brought along other things such as edge control, atmospherics, painting in color keys while working with value keys.  Two landscape and one still life results show here with my web site consisting of others.
Pine Acres Lake, Goodwin Park
oil on linen, 9 x 12 inches
Evening on the Salmon River, Idaho
Oil on linen, 9 x 12 inches

Fortuny and Copper
oil on linen, 16 x 20 inches

Now it's time for a change to incorporate what I've been learning and move forward into new formats.

Shadows: Leaves, Light and Air
oil on canvas, 36 x 24 inches
While I still love still life and landscapes and my favorite subject of course is still food, and I'll continue with these, I want to return now to reflections and shadows in oil and continue working with egg tempera using a more complete and complex tool box. One recent result shows here in the newest Shadow painting.

The last year's absence from my blog has been due to two knee replacements and two bouts of Lyme disease so my painting focus suffered a bit.  Now, with a renewed emphasis on better technique, I'm at work on a series of shadows in oil (the first of which is showing here) and continuing to try and complete a free-hand egg tempera of gothic arches that is defying my abilities. More on the last at a later date.